The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Monday, August 25, 2008

Convention Day 1

Delegates to the Democratic National Convention are diverse. About 3% of the delegates are Native American. 5% are Asian and Pacific Islanders. 6% are Gay or Lesbian. 24 % are African American. >50% are Women. 100% are Patriotic Americans.

John Legend sang. Will the boss? Rumor has it.

Ted Kennedy was wonderful. His doctor and his wife advised him not to go, and even after arriving in Denver, it was not clear that he would be able to speak.

But his address was vintage Kennedy. And he pledged to be there in January and to work with Obama on Universal Health care.

Michelle Obama, a woman full of compassion, which she got from her father, was introduced by her brother Craig Robinson, who happens to be head basketball coach at Oregon State.

And to carry the basketball analogy that Craig used in describing Barack a step further, Michelle Obama hit a 3 pointer from the half court line with her speech.

As she said, when Barack Obama is elected, our children will be able to say, "This time, we listened to our hopes instead of our fears."

Watch her speech here.



If Michelle Obama's job was to make Americans realize that all of us are alike, it worked.

As she spoke of her family, I thought of my mother and what I learned from her, my father and what he taught us, my kids and what I have taught them, my brothers and how we grew up.

My family, like her family, had obstacles and we overcame them.

It is the great American story.

Michelle Obama will make a great first lady.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My grand-father, a Southern Baptist minister, now long gone, and my brothers, all 3 of them, would be/are so glad to see this day come in our lifetime. Now,to be honest, I don't know what my only sister in Florida, and her family, may be thinking about all this, but I can only hope. NO MORE, "stolen elections in Florida." OBAMA/BIDEN - our ONLY hope for a better future!!!