The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Thursday, October 14, 2010

A call out to Bessemer gay kids

There are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender students at Bessemer City High School and at Davis Middle School in Bessemer, Alabama.

If you are LGBT or describe yourself as any other sexual minority, I need to hear from you.

If you are not LGBT but know a student who is, please have them contact me.

You can reach me by email at metrocat10@aol.com

You can reach me on Facebook and send me a private message.

You can contact me anonymously if you want, and our conversations will be confidential. Your identity or personal information will not be shared.

After your initial contact, we might talk by phone if you want to.

Specifically, what I want to know is if you feel you are being bullied at school, if you feel the school is not doing enough to protect you. I will also ask if your family knows you are gay and if you get support from home. I will also give you some phone numbers of organizations that can offer you help or if you feel you need to talk to someone.

I want to add your information (without revealing your name) to the information I already have.

And remember, it does get better. Last year I saw the Broadway production of Chicago. The cast of that musical has made this video to offer you encouragement.



Others from the diverse Broadway community teamed up to make this video.



And there are people all across this country that are working hard for your rights, for your safety, for your equality. Here are three pictures I took at last years National Equality March in Washington, DC, last year. More about our experience at that march can be found here.












It does get better. I hope to hear from you. But if you feel that you need to talk someone right now, there is a welcoming ear at The Trevor Project, 866-488-7386, or 866-4U-TREVOR.

No comments: