The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Friday, October 22, 2010

The bad news

Two more young gay people have taken their lives this week. There is so much hatred directed toward these kids that they cannot see the love and support that the LGBT community and our allies have been sending their way over the last few weeks (actually all long, it's just been more publicized over the last few weeks).

Corey Jackson was one of the boys. Corey was 19 years old, and a student at Oakland University. He hanged himself on Tuesday.

“Corey lived to please people; he lived to make everyone around him happy,” his friend Justine Roy said. “He gave off this positive aura, this positive vibe that you couldn’t help but be happy and smile.”



The president of Corey's fraternity, TKE, Nick McCormick, said “I think the bullying may have something to do with it; maybe it was some negative support he may have gotten. If I had to give it a guess, the perception of his lifestyle might have had an effect on him.”

Other published reports say bullying did not play a role, but I can see where officials would try to sweep that under the rug. The family says bullying is to blame.

The other young man was Terrel Williams, a 17 year old student from Beverly Hills. He left a suicide note.

“I’m sorry to my immediate loved ones, but I feel suicide is the only way out. I felt coming out, and being happy with Daric, was the best thing I could’ve ever done. But I didn’t think it would lead to my death at an early age.

“Today, was the record worst day of my life, some kids at school stole some of my stuff that I got from people I really cared about, and that really pushed me over the top, next to being shoved into a wall, and my ribs being broken.”

His mother released this statement after an errant picture and some errant information was released.


So I am not posting a picture of Terrel.


Two thirds of Americans believe churches contribute to gay suicides. Obviously.

President Obama has come on board to tell young people "It Gets Better."


1 comment:

Nick Jones said...

How far humanity has fallen to criminalize something as basic and pure as human nature. Christianity has a lot to answer for and the blood of every one of these kids is on the church's hands. For that matter, America is guilty of genocide. Some Early Native American tribes embraced their homosexual members and gave them places of honor within the tribes. The Indians believed in multiple genders and celebrated their diversity--that is until Christian Missionaries "saved" them. Yes, there is a lot to answer for-- where is Karma when it is really needed and when will this madness cease? It all started with misinterpreted ancient creeds that may or may not have any historical relevance and may not even contain a modicum of truth; yet it is brandished around as a weapon against all--even those of us who do not prescribe to said dogma.