The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Body Farm and Dwindling Flowers

It’s better than using human bodies I guess, but Linda Spurlock had to wonder what her neighbors were thinking when she dressed up two dead pigs and buried them in shallow graves in her backyard two years ago.

Kent State students studying anthropology recently went to her home and used their skills to determine where the bodies were buried and then tried to determine how they were killed.

“I think something happened to this pig that is not exactly kosher,” one of the students said.

There was a “GSW to left ribs” and some sharks teeth and cherry pits in the graves.

Read more and see the picture:

Article

Hmmm. We had fetal pigs in high school (Berry High) biology to dissect, but no murder investigation.

But when I lived near Knoxville I became aware of The Body Farm, Dr. Bass’s forensic anthropology plot where he keeps human remains in various stages of decay, maggots and all.

Instead of reading my descriptions, why not tour the Body Farm. This is Dr. Bass’s own page, so it’s “OK.”

Body Farm


After looking at that, here are some nice flower pictures. There is not much blooming these days, with little water and intense heat.



Morning Glorys are not one of my favorites...until they bloom. They appear in such intense colors. This is one that I refrained from calling a weed, and look how it turned out







This is the last sunflower to open, and the most perfect of the group. The others have just about gone to seed, their heads bowing toward the groud, and various birds lurking nearby. I don't know if you can see it in the picture, but bright gold pollen has fallen onto the green leaf below changing its color as well. If I were a bee, I would just land on that leaf and roll in it.





This is Turk's Cap, or Turk's Turban, and hummingbirds love it. I'm afraid the returning hummers are finding a less bountiful supply, as quite a few plants had to be removed to make space for the deck and sunflower garden. Still, I think there are plenty, and I am seeing hummers every day. I will try to get pictures.

1 comment:

Christine McIntosh said...

"little water and intense heat" eh? Would that we might share just a little of your weather! Scotland is not suffering from the floods of England, but after a day like today (mist and low cloud, 12 degrees celsius, brisk wind off the sea) I'd give anything for some hot sun.