The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Monday, March 12, 2007

This was life saving for me

Today I am going to address a subject that is icky for a lot of people. As you are reading this, I am either having a colonoscopy or recovering from it. This is my second. A colonoscopy can be a life saving event. Really and truly, the first one saved my life. Read on, my personal experince is down below. No, it’s not fun, and the prep time is just as bad as the procedure. First this.

March is National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. My doctor gave me a blue bracelet to remind me to get screened (I already had the appointment) but I am wearing it to remind me to tell others to do the same.

During National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, these important points about colorectal cancer are communicated:
Colorectal cancer can be prevented.
Screening for colorectal cancer can identify polyps - grape size growths in the colon and/or rectum. These can be removed to prevent cancer from ever occurring.
Starting at age 50, men and women who are at average risk for colorectal cancer should get screened. Men and women who have a higher risk of the disease may need to be tested earlier and should talk to their health care professional about when.
No matter what your age, know the risk factors, know the symptoms, know your family history.
Colorectal cancer is treatable.
Talk with your health care professional today.
Go to this site to learn more. On the left of the page are various topics and a FAQ link that will provide lots of information.

http://www.preventcancer.org/colorectal/facts/crc.cfm

If you are 50, or if you have a sibling or a parent who is 50, they need to know this.

My own experience

When I had my colonoscopy at age 50 two polyps were found and removed. Had I not had the procedure, by now, or in the not too distant future, I would most likely develop colon cancer. A friend of ours was not so lucky. Soon after my procedure, he had the same procedure for the first time. Colon cancer was discovered, and a few months ago he died. He was older than me, and had he been screened at age 50, he might still be alive today.
This is serious stuff. And it is one of the easiest cancers to prevent, by having this simple (well, sort of) procedure. Do your self, and your loved ones a favor. Get screened.

On a more positive note…I learned this week that I have been accepted in to the Masters Program in Epidemiology at the UAB School of Public Health. Of course, I am already taking some courses there, but now they can be applied to my degree.

1 comment:

Christine McIntosh said...

Just caught up after a week of much moving around - congratulations on the addition of photos and technorati tags to the blog!