The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

People of the Year, Gay Edition

Various "end of year" lists and announcements of "people of the year" are being released. Here's a few.


The Out 100, an annual list of the 100 most influential GLBT people, names Cheyenne Jackson as its entertainer of the year. Wow.


I've recognized Cheyenne's, uh, talent, before, here. Xanadu is no longer running, but I hope Jackson is in something when we go to New York in 2009. Wow.

Most recently he starred in Broadway's hilarious surprise hit Xanadu, which closed in September after 513 performances ("That's 512 more than anyone thought we'd do," he says).

Wow. (I realize I am repeating myself, but...)

The Advocate included Thomas Beatie and Wanda Sykes among their persons of the year.

Wanda Sykes has long supported gays, and recently we learned that she is one. She let the world know after the passage of Prop 8 in California. Here she is at a rally in Las Vegas after Prop 8 passed (I knew we should have stayed longer), where she talks about her own same sex marriage and the importance of marriage rights across the country, not just in California. Thank you Wanda.




Thomas Beatie has had a baby and is now pregnant again. Reaction to the latest pregnancy was met with a yawn, of sorts, as people have begun to understand a little more about transgender people and the "shock" value of a pregnant man wanes.

Thomas was not the first or only transgender man to have a baby. Here Barbara Walters discusses the subject. This video is part 4 of a 5 part series. The other 4 can be found here .




In Part 5, the Beaties talk about family response to their pregnancy, and make an announcement.


Again, congratulations Thomas and Nancy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I understand the desire for a family but showing her/him? pregnant is just a little creepy to me. I just don't understand their inviting the media attention. I would think they would want some privacy. Most people don't want their pregnant selves published.

Joe said...

I think they are trying to promote tolerance and understanding, and giving up their privacy for that cause. I can't blame them for that.