The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Monday, January 10, 2011

Global warming

Today is a drippy, slushy day in Bessemer Alabama.



It's a perfect day to look for evidence of global warming.

Let's go outside.

Here some ice has collected on a pine tree. Much more of this, and the power would have gone out, causing me to miss the BCS Championship Game and Auburn playing tonight.




War Eagle!!!
We are still keeping our fingers crossed (both regarding power...and the game).

Here a holly tree and its berries are cased in ice. The cedar waxwings will take care of these berries, at some point.




This crepe myrtle has a layer of ice on it. This reminds me of northern friends in Pennsylvania who tell me that they can grow crepe myrtles without having to protect them in winter like they used to have to.




These wisteria vines, which I will be fighting again this year, are covered in ice.



Here are some chilled, frosted rose hips.




How about the camellias. There are several varieties on the property, and some begin blooming in late fall. This one has been blooming for weeks. These blooms will be damaged by the ice, but more will open later in the week or next week.



Ah ha! Here is my evidence.

This camellia normally blooms before Christmas. I have taken pictures of its flowers in the past in December, and have used the flowers in decorating for our Christmas Party, during the first two weeks of December.

This year, this is the first bloom on the plant, and today is January 10. There are lots of buds, so I will be enjoying this plant throughout the month and in to February, most likely.



But why is it a month late blooming?

I am not a camellia expert. I wish I knew one who could come visit and identify the dozen or so varieties that we have. But I would assume that the winter blooming camellia buds enlarge and finally open in response to low or falling temperatures. The plant may have perceived warmer temperatures in the late fall, and responded by delaying blooming.

That is the, although anecdotal and without proof, evidence for global warming I was looking for.

Winter days like today make me think of Tasha Tudor and her book, Tasha Tudor's Garden, my favorite garden book. In it she describes her garden in every season, and pictures accompany the descriptions.



If I were to write such a book, I would include this picture. There's just something about evergreens and ice.



Enjoy this cold, wet, beautiful, winter day in the south.

No comments: