The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Bessemer Opinions Top 12 for 2008

Be sure and scroll down and read the column from today's Western Tribune.

For the second annual Bessemer Opinions Top Twelve, the editorial board had a difficult time. Remember, this top twelve is based on stories or opinions posted here, not on the top twelve events in the world. We don't get to report on everything.

The twelve are not necessarily in order of importance, rather in chrono order.


1. Dominionism and Heath Ledger

This post was important because dominionism will destroy the world as we know it (and it also had that great tribute to Heath Ledger).


2. Happy Valentine's Day

This post was about heart health and I got several emails thanking me for it. And in the post I said this:

"I have cut down on sugared drinks. Not completely, but cut back to less than half of what I used to drink. I eat a hand full of nuts every day. I'm working on adding more fruits and vegetables. My blood pressure is great. My cholesterol is borderline, and by George I am going to get it within desired range by exercise and diet (I have been on Crestor and don't like it)."

And I did. My cholesterol's (good and bad) are now well within normal ranges and I haven't taken Crestor since February!!!

3. A Plan for Bessemer

Bessemer is in dire need of a plan and people to implement plans.

4. Bessemer Development and Bessemer Beauty (and Beyond)

This was good news for Bessemer, plus, nice pictures.

5. Going to the Chapel

This post was about the ill-fated same-sex marriage rights in California. Equality will occur, however.

6. When Jesus Met a Gay Man

People either love reading about Jesus' acceptance of those who are different, or they hate being exposed to the truth about him.


7. This entire series on New Orleans counts as one story.

Lower Ninth Ward Part 1 , part 2 , part3 , part4 , part 5 , part 6 .

8. Same for this story on Troy King. And he wants to be governor? Would his "little mister" be the "First Dude" like Todd is in Alaska?

Is King going Down? , Troy King Day 4 ,Troy Day 6 and Mormon Excommunication ,Troy King and Staff ,Troy King's Response ,Troy King rumors in Tuscaloosa News

9. Oops...I mean big oops

Science is important. Endangered species are important.

10. Not just because he's my brother, but because we know there are artists, good artists, here in Western Jefferson County. We need art studios and art galleries and art events here.

Art Exhibit Update ,Washing the Dust off Your Soul

There were tons of political stories and opinions during the year, but the win on November 4 was the story of the year.

11. Yes We Did

12. My friend and neighbor's house burned. this was one of Bessemer's most recognized historic homes.

Three Things of Significance

13. OK, so I can't count. This story is # 13, but again, since people either love what I write about Jesus and the Bible or hate learning the truth, I had to include it. Plus, the marriage posts got more comments and emails than any other post during the year, I believe.

Jesus and Marriage , Marriage as Defined in the Bible .

So, there you have it, the year in a nutshell. Of course, there were lots of great pictures of flowers and animals and Olympic champions and hot guys and more...you can explore to find those.

Have a happy and safe New Year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe. How is your friend? Is he going to rebuild his house?

Happy New Year.

Susan F