The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Monday, June 1, 2009

Push

"You don't hear politicians give a one word answer much, but its yes."

That was incoming Press Secretary Robert Gibbs response to an online question asking whether President Obama would overturn Don't Ask Don't Tell back in January before the swearing in.

Watch here, and go to the 4:17 mark.

But since the president has been in office, Gibbs has handled the issue like its a hot potato.

Some, including me, have said to be patient, to just wait and things will come to pass. Some, also including me, have been reminded of what Martin Luther King, Jr. said regarding waiting for civil rights.

Now we are told that some major announcements will come from the White House in June regarding GLBT issues.

Next month the administration will apparently be presenting a package of pro-LGBT announcements. I’m not sure all of what will be included in that package, but I’m waiting to see if it will be enough. Will anything that doesn’t address “don’t ask, don’t tell” and full marital rights satisfy the masses, who have shown increasing unrest lately?

The Advocate's Kerry Eleveld, who wrote the story, makes a good point. Because the President is dragging his feet on every gay issue, we won't be as satisfied with, say, support for ENDA (if that were announced), as we would have been had it been announced in January, when we could have taken it as an indication of things to come. Now our indication has been that we will be ignored, so it's going to take something major to satisfy.

But my little re-activism to being ignored is this. Until yesterday I was still getting emails from the Obama people and the Democratic Senate campaign and others who want both support and money. I emailed them all and told them that until I see some evidence of support from both the President and the Congress that I don't want to hear from them. Heck, everything they send me I've heard about on the news before I get their emails anyway.

They may hear more from me and other GLBT supporters and they should welcome the input because it you watch the rest of the video at the link above, he urges us "to push your lawmakers and to push this new administration to do what you know is right."

So, push.


Rob Thomas, (the singer in that video, for those who don't know) has A Big Gay Chip On My Shoulder. And he's not even gay.

"I believe the fact that an atheist, who doesn't believe in God at all, is allowed to enter into the holy land of marriage while a gay Christian is not, shows that this law is arbitrary."

He makes other good points in his post. Thanks Rob. And when are you coming back to Birmingham. You know that we gave you your start. Well, sort of.

No comments: