The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Friday, June 5, 2009

Post Town Hall Stress Disorder

There was a Town Hall meeting in Bessemer last night. Now I understand why Barack Obama did not favor Town Hall meetings. Neither do I. At least not the type that we had last night.

I will let those of you who were there come to your own conclusions what I mean by that. Those of you who were not there, you have two hours of your life that were not wasted.

Seriously, it's hard to get my brain working this morning.

(Update: another home invasion in our neighborhood) today!!!



I mean, we are supposed to feel safe and secure because:

A) a bomb has not gone off in city hall since the May 1979 explosion (there is not a lot of information online about that event, but here is a case from the Court of Appeals 11th Circuit where Thomas Fullman [who was acquitted of murder, mayhem and assault related to the bombing of city hall in his second trial] sued 15 public officials, witnesses and a bank for conspiracy afterward). This to me is like the claim by certain Republicans that America is safer because we've had no terrorist attack since September 11, 2001. I know, I've made this connection before, but...

B) You can get shot (or murdered, I can't remember which word was used) in church! I don't know if that is in reference to the murder of the abortion doctor in his church last week or not, but since Bessemer has a church on every corner...well, you do the math.

OK, I know I'm being cynical. But I was not the only frustrated person there. Maybe some good music will help.




Anyway, I will change direction. Remember this column from the Western tribune where I recommended Bessemer attract the Creative Class. My column was based on research from a few years ago.

Now the Williams Institute has released a study, which shows that in Massachusetts, same sex marriage has attracted the Creative Class and lots of bucks.

Reuters reported the story and said:

The spread of gay marriage could serve as a recruiting tool for universities, health care companies and financial services firms that dominate the region's economy, experts said.

"It will be a selling point when it comes to trying to lure people with same-sex partners who are being wooed for a job," said M.V. Lee Badgett, a University of Massachusetts economist who studies gay and lesbian issues.


Same-sex couples in the so-called "creative class" were 2.5 times more likely to move to Massachusetts in the three years following the approval of same-sex marriage than they had been in the three prior years, according to a study released in May by the Williams Institute of the University of California.

So, while Bessemer may not yet be on the cutting edge, Bessemer Opinions (by reporting on the creative class), certainly is. (Certain) people should listen.

2 comments:

Ed said...

I'm still waiting to hear about the hatred that raised its ugly head from an earlier post...

Bhamdaniel said...

Joe,
Let's just say that when it's the so-called, Right-To-Lifers, that are murdering physicians, maiming staff, blowing-up clinics,including the Atlanta Olympics,gay bars, et.al,etc. ad infinitum...then maybe, just maybe, there IS truly something wrong with this picture, to say the least.