The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Change I Can Believe In


Didn't I say last night would be historic? Of course, we knew that Barack Obama would gain enough delegates to secure the Democratic nomination...and it would have been just as historic had Hillary Clinton been able to claim victory. But for those of us who grew up in Birmingham Alabama, and were alive when, say, George Wallace stood in the schoolhouse door, this is monumental.

My kids do not seem to be amazed at Obama's nomination. That is change. In spite of all the health disparities that still exist, in spite of systemic racism in education, and in spite of the misguided visions of some African American leaders (who don't realize that new challenges require new methods), America has changed over the last 40 years and we now have a candidate who as a result of those changes will take America in a new direction in November...well, January.

Pundits on all the networks think the election in November will be close, and it might. But I don't see how. There is an old, tired campaign full of old, failed policies and a young, vibrant campaign exploring solutions to the problems that the 8 Bush years are leaving us. That is what it boils down to.

Contrast the speeches last night of John McCain and Barack Obama. McCain, in Kenner Louisiana, drew a crowd more the size a mayoral candidate might draw, and certainly was less than inspiring. Barack Obama spoke before 17,000 supporters in the arena that will hold the Republican convention (with 15,000 more waiting out side) and delivered one of the great speeches of our time. Here is about 8 minutes of it, and unlike yesterday, this video is SFW, suitable for work and home and school and everywhere.




All the world is a stage, and if you don't believe it, consider this. Forty five years ago, on August 28, 1963, Martin Luther King Jr delivered his "I have a dream" speech.




This year, on August 28, exactly 45 years later to the day, Barack Obama will deliver his acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention. With Obama's history of oratory and the fact that the real history will be made that night as he accepts, you can bet that this will be one of the most electrifying speeches ever and that the number of televisions tuned in will break records.

If you remember, I said it was not easy for me to make the decision to support Hillary, and so throwing my support to Obama is easy. As it should be for all Democrats and independents.

Let's make our state AlObama 08.

4 comments:

Christine McIntosh said...

Reassure me: surely America won't vote Republican this time round?

Joe said...

Chris,

All I can promise is that we democrats will do our best.

But surely, we (those)Americans will not put McBush in the White House. Yikes!

Christine McIntosh said...

Go for it!

mooncat said...

Lovely post. I've been backing Obama for a few months now -- mostly with words but I actually sent him $10 -- and I wish I'd had it in me to write something like this. My Hillary friends have been leaning on me for not being more respectful of her accomplishments and her moment, so I declined to write anything at all. Shameful, really. It's such an historic moment, doubly historic really. I want to be able to talk and laugh with my friends again, but the relationships will never be the same.