The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Equality: it belongs to you and me

There are some people in Bessemer and really, everywhere, that need to see this.

My friend Pam Spaulding at Pam's House Blend has shared this video of Coretta Scott King speaking at the 1996 Atlanta Pride Festival.

Some people do not understand that equality belongs to everyone. She, and her husband, certainly did.




I certainly tried to make that point in my book, Those Others, and a review that came out yesterday recognizes that. Read it here.

Look for my upcoming article on the Prop 8 overturn in Noise Magazine. I'll let you now when it comes out.

I'm not going to post the videos and rants from those who disagree with the Judge's opinion because there are no valid arguments against it. His perceived sexuality has nothing to do with it. The misinterpretation of the Bible has nothing to do with it. The constitution and our founding documents are about equality, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Nowhere do those documents (nor the Bible) say "for straight people."

"Justice is indivisible," Mrs. King said. "The church burners and the gay bashers drink from the same poisonous well of hatred..."

I would add that some of the church leaders drink from that well of poison as well. And some talk radio hosts. And the "professional right."

No comments: