The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Alabama AG office responds

If you remember, in July I attended a Town Hall meeting after being invited by mayor Ed May. And if you remember, he asked me to turn off my video camera, after telling me it wasn't a "public meeting." And I thought that may have been been a violation of Alabama's Open Meetings Act. And I sent an inquiry to the Attorney General's office.





Well I received a response today and let's just say the mayor is being put on notice.


Mayor Ed May at another meeting held in a church.

I won't give details, but the office of the Attorney General tells me the steps necessary to bring action against the mayor.



It included this:



In response to your correspondence regarding Alabama's Open Meetings Act, as stated by Section 36-25A-6 of The Alabama Code, "A meeting of a governmental body, except while in executive session, may be openly recorded by any person in attendance by means of a tape recorder or any other means of sonic, photographic, or video reproduction provided the recording does not disrupt the conduct of the meeting.


Since May is so close to being voted out of office I think I will hold off on pursing anything.



But I guess all the Bessemer office holders should realize that Open Meeting Laws are to be observed.

Be sure to take part in my new poll to the left, which explores why Ed may did so poorly in the election.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Okay, so Ed May is a rotten creep. Everyone knows this. What's new in Bessemer? I read about another murder. Maybe he's not dead, just having a problem with perception, like the mayor.