The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Monday, December 5, 2011

Camellias

I've written about camellias before, and since that time I still haven't learned much about them. I will reiterate that I love them because they open after roses and most annuals have ceased their blooming.

This year the weather was a little odd and those who have visited us this year noticed that fresh roses and fresh camellias were both on display in our home during the end of November. That's a consequence of climate change (and the unpredictable weather that results) that I can live with.

My attention is now turned toward the camellias. There will be one or more varieties in bloom in our yard until the azaleas bloom in the Spring, so Winter will not be without fresh flowers outdoors, some of which will make it into our home.

Here are some photos of the ones that are blooming now.

The plant that these pink flowers came from is in the back yard, and is covered with blooms. This simple arrangement was used on the altar at church.


This plant is in front of the house. It has the largest blooms of any camellia plant in the yard. It is doing very well this year.


These two blooms are the same variety, under natural indoor light. The photo above was taken with a flash.


Just for comparison, here is the scene above using a flash. I prefer the natural (artificial) light.


The plant that produces these blooms did not do well last year, but is covered in buds now. It traditionally blooms during Christmas time, and reminds me of peppermint.


This pretty pink blossom is actually from earlier this year. This one doesn't bloom until February, but I thought I would include it just to show how they bloom regardless of the weather.


Anyway, for those of us who enjoy gardens and natural beauty, the camellia is one of the things that keeps us going through winter.

No comments: