The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Monday, September 8, 2008

ALICE

Just in case...

The giant atom smasher gets fired up tomorrow near Geneva Switzerland at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research. Some doomsday folks are saying it could create a black hole that will suck the earth and all of us into it.

What scientists are hoping is that the Large Hadron Collider will come close, but not duplicate, I guess, the Big Bang that got us all here to begin with.



One of the installations in the 17 mile tunnel where all this is happening is called "ALICE", A Large Ion Collider Experiment. Go here to learn more about ALICE. Skip that first graphic and scroll down to the "Welcome" section. Be amazed. Don't be alarmed when the video shows a golf ball being sucked into a black hole, though.








Here is the story in comic book form for kids who are into particle physics and such, or for those of us who like the comic book format for learning.

I know this is a little different from most of my posts, but I wanted people to know why...uh, well, you know, if we aren't here tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My inner nerd loved this story. And the shots of Geneva in the video bring back fond memories of my high school days. I absolutely love that over-priced piece of mountain real estate.