The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Friday, June 11, 2010

Rick and Bubba and LGBT Pride

In an email from Rick Burgess of the Rick and Bubba show, the holy man states that what I called a 'rant' was actually a "presentation of BIBLICAL truth about sexual sins for those of us who claim a BIBLICAL world view."

I normally refuse to engage in debate with people like him, but what he said was so offensive that I felt compelled to send him an email. After all, this is LGBT Pride Month, according to 40 year tradition since the first gay pride march in 1970, and according to the proclamation by the President of the United States, Barack Obama.

In fact, that proclamation was what got Rick all hot and bothered. Here's the video of his rant.






Now, I do not enjoy criticising people because of their faith, because I actually feel a bit sorry for them. Well, maybe there is some enjoyment, because possibly they are becoming educated.

People with a "Biblical Worldview" think that the world is only about 5000 years old, that people lived with the dinosaurs (think "Flintstones"), and that Noah had a mosquito net and caught two Anopheles gambiae mosquitos, (the ones that transmit malaria, responsible for infecting over 200 million people and killing 1 - 2 million per year) along with a couple of Onchocera volvulus worms (the ones that cause river blindness in about 18 million people) and a pair of the Simulium black flies that spread the debilitating disease. (Try keeping those, along with thousands of other arthropod and worm species alive for 40 days on an ark.)

I could go on but you get the picture, I hope.

I have written enough on this blog about the Bible that I don't need to repeat the passages here that are affirming to the LGBT community. Just look to the left, and you can see some links to popular posts about the subject.


But Rick did say this in his email. "...we gain control over our sin through the power found in
CHRIST who then changes our desires when we love him enough for HIS grace and MERCY to obey HIS commands as he calls us to do in several places in the BIBLE but none more simple than JOHN 14:15 if you love me then obey my commands."


The truth is, Jesus did not say one word about homosexuality. Nothing that could be mis-translated, or mis-directed, to condemn homosexuals. Nothing, Rick!

He also says this in more than one email that I have seen "...I felt that i was born as most straight men with a disposition to sleep with several women other than our wives" and that he overcame that desire through Christ.

Fine. Even though this just seems a little creepy as well as bragging (like "I wanna make sure you know I had a lot of sex before I found Christ, ladies") it seems a little strange that one would need to call on God to do what should just be the decent thing to do. Are you that depraved? Well, he would say "yes," because of "sin".

That is just a big fat excuse. He can think about adultery all he wants without acting, call on Christ to keep him from falling, but if he does fall, "Oh, it was just sin that made me do that. Let me play my "get out of hell" card and start over."


Rick also said in that video clip that President Obama didn't observe the National Day of Prayer, and I heard that same lie from other right wing talk show hosts. Rick said, "I would love to have seen a nice long letter on the National Day of Prayer but we didn't get that."

If you had been paying attention, Rick, you would have seen this "long letter", the proclamation released by the Obama administration on April 30, 2010, which included this:

"NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim May 6, 2010, as a National Day of Prayer."

Rick Burgess, and others like him, ride the high horse of the Biblical World View, and talk about living a moral life and all, but have no reservations about telling lies and distorting the truth for the sake of bringing down our president, and getting higher ratings for their radio show.

I have a little proclamation of my own.

Now, therefore, I, Joe the blogger, do proclaim Rick Burgess and his sidekick Bubba Bussey as Alabama redneck trash unworthy of lending an ear to, and an embarrassment to our state. I forever ban them from my radio.*

*I do reserve the right to watch their Youtube videos in order to monitor their hate speech.




Happy LGBT Pride, all my Alabama brothers and sisters, and do not let the words of this man or anyone else dissuade you from enjoying this celebration of your being and your life.

Here's short video of the start of last year's Central Alabama Pride parade, including the Alabama Stonewall Democrats truck, which will be in this year's parade with the message, "Together we can..."




Come out Saturday night near Five Points South and celebrate with us!

5 comments:

Zach said...

So if Jesus didn't tell him not to, he would be trying to bang as many women as he could? What does that say about him?

P.s. thanks for posting my video from last year. I hope to have another one this year :-)

Joe said...

Zach,
You're welcome. Videos like this are the only way we drivers get to see the parade!

Clif said...

Joe,

I was telling Darrell last night, "I just love Joe...he says what he thinks!" Thank you for posting this.

Joe said...

Clif, you make me blush.
Thanks.

Keith said...

The bible should be taken as a whole book.. It does not contradict itself when properly studied. One can take any scripture and turn it around to fit their lifestyle or to justify what they do. The fact is, you either believe it , or you do not ... Thats it! Its your choice .. The bible is Gods Holy word.. It was written by men that were inspired by God above. It is a guide book to follow. You do not HAVE to..again that is your decision. If you do decide that the bible is the truth.. The word of God .. You should read the whole chapter of Genesis 19..Angels from God were sent to help a true believer ( not a perfect believer) .. I must trouble you to please take the time to read and research the different translation versions of the bible .. You can even research back to the Original Hebrew text...God is the same, yesterday, today and tomorrow. Please do not take this as someone out to condemn anyone... As there has only been one perfect being on this planet.. Jesus Christ. I pray you do this..