The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Farmers market and politics

We are getting good response to our request for progressives to join our group. Anticipate some changes in Bessemer.

Join us.

I spent the morning at the Bessemer Farmers Market at Watermark Place. The weather was perfect, and I had my camera. But I was carrying others folk's cameras as well, and taking pictures with all. In all that, I didn't get a good picture of the produce with my own camera!

But I did take a picture of the goodies I bought when I got home. The blackberries are going in a cobbler, and there will be cornbread to accompany the rest.




Blackberries, rattlesnake beans, fresh pintos, new potatoes and green tomatoes

The day started out cloudy

Virginia Ward, the banana man and Toni Hendrix, market director

The clouds began to part and the people began to pour in.



Buy fresh, buy local

Commissioner of Agriculture and Democratic nominee for Governor Ron Sparks showed up



Councilman Jesse Matthews, Commissioner Sparks, Anthony Underwood and John Willoughby (State of Alabama, Farmers Market Authority)

Cooking demonstration by Ron Cook of Bessemer


Ron serving up some chicken


The event brought out many politicians in addition to the ones above

City council candidate Cleo King with Commissioner Ron Sparks


City council candidate Sherrina Rice, councilor and mayoral candidate Louise Alexander and Council candidate Cleo King

Other elected officials who were seen were councilor and mayoral candidate Dorothy Davidson, and State Representative Lawrence McAdory and mayoral candidate Ken Gulley and councilman Earl Cochran.

Mr. McAdory tried to explain to me his vote to prevent constitutional reform from advancing. Was he successful? I'll let you know later.

Next Saturday there will be a health fair and senior citizen nutrition coupons will be distributed.

No comments: