The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Busy Thursday, An Uplifting Story

Thursday is a real busy day, so I am actually writing this on Wednesday. I hope nothing superbly interesting happens overnight; I would hate to miss an opportunity to post an opinion on something.

Be sure and read my Western Tribune column that follows this post.

Speaking of opinions, I find it very interesting that many of those who comment repeatedly return to post negative comments on my opinions. That's OK, unless they break the rules. But here is what gets me. Some seem to despise this blog, so why do they keep coming back? Are they closet liberals, and coming to Bessemer Opinions is as close as they can get, what with its anonymity and all. They are particularly negative toward anything gay, to that point that I am becoming very suspicious. You know, the Ted Haggard, Mark Foley sort of thing.


And what I find most interesting is that these right wing conservative readers never (and never is a long time) leave positive comments on the things I write that no one could argue with. What does that tell you? Take for instance the following article. (Maybe this gentle prod will get them reacting in a more positive way. If not, I have access to a cattle prod, which is not so gentle.)

Anyway, not all of you get the West News in the Birmingham News, so I wanted to share a chat that Anne Ruisi had with David Cornelison, a staff nurse in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit at Princeton Baptist Medical Center. You can read the entire interview at the link, but here is the part that I liked.

What is most memorable about your career?

Where do I start? I remember a teenager I took care of who was in a wreck on graduation night. Bless his heart, he was on a ventilator and had lines (tubes) in him. I know he was in SICU most of the summer, at least eight weeks.

One day, we start pulling the lines out and he was breathing on own. It was a beautiful day outside and I said, `How about we make a trip?' I took him to the first-floor patio. I helped him out of the (wheel)chair. I told him, `Buddy, you got five weeks of summer left. Isn't it time you go home?'

He was out three weeks later. A month or two later, he came back to thank us. You can't put a price on that.

Nurses. You gotta love 'em.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Joe, it has been almost a week now, and I have been watching this post to see if any of the usual "nattering nabobs of negativity" would comment. I see that none have. I guess they all suddenly stopped reading your "so-called blog".

Anne Ruisi's interview with David Cornelison was uplifting. It gives me hope to know that there are others like him in almost every occupation, leading mostly unnoticed lives of quiet dedication to service. Each one enriching our community in ways that we may never know.

If I had a loved one in SICU, I would certainly want someone like Mr. Cornelison to care for them.

Joe said...

Tom,
I am sure they are still reading. Just waiting to pounce on something gay or progressive. Let's see what they think of today's post.