The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

More Violence in Bessemer

More killings have occurred on Dartmouth Avenue. You probably have heard that over the weekend three men who were arguing ended up shooting each other. Two men “teamed up” against one, who is still alive, but he is in critical condition, and probably will die as well.

This happened in the middle of the street in the 2700 block of Dartmouth. I don’t know whether any of these men had prior felony convictions, but I will renew my call to get guns off the street. You saw my editorial (the second part of this post)about it, and I delivered a personal letter last week to Police Chief Rutledge regarding the issue, but not surprisingly I have not heard back from him.

I don’t know why the city leaders (the mayor, the council, pastors and civic leaders), are not upset and outspoken about this. Do they think that “some level” of crime is acceptable? Do they think that Josh may have been a tragedy but these three thugs they can just ignore? Don’t get me wrong. I don’t know these three men or anything about them. But three guys arguing in the middle of the street at 2 AM more than likely are thugs.

It would be refreshing to hear from the police department. I don’t mean answering my letter, I mean addressing the community.




Yesterday as part of one of my classes we visited the Norwood Community in Birmingham, beginning at the Norwood Resource Center, in a restored historic home. This pot of zinnias was blooming on the front porch.









There is not a lot blooming now, but the sunflowers are very close to opening.












There are too many of these in the yard, but these umbels of small yellow flowers reach optimistically toward the sky, either in appreciation of the sunlight they receive or maybe they are pleading for rain, which they should get today. This is fennel, and it grows about 5 feet tall. The feathery leaves smell like licorice, and can be used in arrangements although they wilt pretty fast.




Speaking of water issues, the automatic sprinklers were working just fine in front of the Wynfrey Hotel at the Riverchase Galleria on Saturday night around 8:45. How many regulations were being broken here, and whose fault is it, the mall or the hotel?



And the deck is coming along. Soon, soon.

No comments: