The Year of Moving Forward

The Year of Moving Forward
At our 4 person wedding reception in DC

Friday, October 16, 2009

Random thoughts on a cloudy morning

This is really going to be random.

Balloon boy. I'm sure you've heard about the giant Jiffy Pop balloon and the boy spilling the beans last night on the Larry King show, and spilling his breakfast (or something) on cue on two different morning shows this morning. Yesterday afternoon I was driving when the boy was located in the cardboard box, and had the radio on the Lee Davis show. Davis is a certified right wingnut whacko, but he said that finding the boy in his attic was a "miraculous" ending to the story.

Huh? A miracle would have been if the boy fell from the balloon and landed on an albatross that glided him to safety or something like that. Saying that finding him at home is a miraculous ending is like saying it's a miracle I wasn't hit by a train on a morning that I didn't cross any railroad tracks.

Emails. Let me just say that I feel I have a moral obligation to respond to and correct the lies about our president and health care and other issues that I receive through emails. And if you have included my email address in a mass emailing with such lies, I will "respond to all" so that everyone you spread the lie to gets my response. If that angers your friends, then either quit sending me those hateful lies and don't include my email address in your mass mailings.

Defeating the right wing. How it's going to be done and who will do it. Here, on Examiner.


Support. Is it normal for a newspaper or magazine that one writes for to continue week after week printing letters that demeans the columnist? While I don't mind seeing letters that offer opposing views, four weeks of letters by the same author attacking my character just seems a little much. Especially when the letter writer is nuts. Would you continue to write for a paper that offered no support? Am I egging it on by responding to the ludicrous assertions? For those of you who haven't read the letters, I will soon post them on Facebook along with the columns that they are in response to.



Helen Keller. I will be posting some info about her and the National Cathedral within a few days. Did you know she was a big supporter of the ACLU, in fact helping to found the organization?

America the Beautiful. The words to this song were written by a lesbian, Katharine Lee Bates. After her partner Katharine Coman died, Bates wrote, "So much of me died with Katharine Coman that I'm sometimes not quite sure whether I'm alive or not." That is not the only evidence of their committed relationship.

No comments: